JOHN PAUL JONES AT POLAR MUSIC PRIZE/ BACK ON STAGE WITH SEASICK STEVE /SUNFLOWER JAM DUE ON DVD/ZEP PLAYED HERE SCREENINGS/ MORE ROBERT PLANT TOP TENS/BRISTOL TBL PRE GIG MEET DETAILS/ DL DIARY UPDATE
John Paul Jones at Polar Music Prize:
John Paul jones is one of the guest speakers at this year’s Polar Music Prize Talks staged in in Stockholm on August 26th -
This via the Polar Music Prize site…
Meet the Polar Music Prize Laureates 2013, John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, Bianca Jagger, Martin Ingvar, Margot Wallström, artists and entrepreneurs at Polar Music Talks in Stockholm, Monday, August 26
Polar Music Talks takes advantage of the unique competences gathered in Stockholm in conjunction with the Polar Music Prize ceremony. The event builds bridges between culture, medicine, technology, business and music of all types.
This year’s Polar Music Talks takes place from 9.00 AM to 5 PM on Monday, August 26th, at the grand movie theatre Rigoletto at Kungsgatan 16 in Stockholm.
It will be a day of conversations and interviews, with a focus on creativity and curiosity. Master of ceremonies will be the chairman of the Polar Music Prize Award Committee, Alfons Karabuda.
The Polar Music Prize Laureates 2013, Youssou N’Dour and Kaija Saariaho, will have a conversation on stage with John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, himself a Polar Music Prize Laureate in 2006.
John was back on stage with Seasick Steve last week for appearances at the Lowlands and V festivals.
Many thanks to James Cook for the above info.
Seasick Steve /John Paul Jones photo by Ben Houdijk
Superjam 2012 with JPJ due on DVD:
This via the official John Paul Jones site:
The Sunflower SUPERJAM 2012 was a unique event that brought together some of rock music’s true legends at The Royal Albert Hall making the iconic venue rock like never before. Now, for the first time, The Sunflower Jam charity is raising money by producing an exceptional DVD of this once-in-a-lifetime event. Watch Alice Cooper, Bruce Dickinson, Brian May, Ian Paice, John Paul Jones, Mark King, Alfie Boe and a host of other amazing musicians ‘jam’ on one of the most famous stages in the world.
Plus, also included is a bonus DVD with highlights from The Sunflower SUPERJAM 2011, including the last ever, live performance from the legendary Jon Lord. The DVD will be released exactly a year on, on September 16th 2013 but it will be available for preorder from Tuesday 20th August 2013 at 1.00pm via
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date with The Sunflower Jam including upcoming events: http://www.concertforjon.thesunflowerjam.com
The DVD will be released exactly a year on, on September 16th 2013 but it will be available for preorder from Tuesday 20th August 2013 at 1.00pm via
The Sunfllower Jam is a charity founded by Jacky Paice, wife of Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice. The charity passionately supports the research and application of holistic and nontoxic treatments for children and young adults suffering from cancer.
Led Zeppelin Played Here screenings:
Jeff Krulik has been in touch to relay this info:
Several years ago, I started a documentary about a local legend: whether or not Led Zeppelin’s first Washington DC-area concert was played at a modest youth center gymnasium on January 20, 1969, in front of 50 teenagers, on the same day that Richard Nixon was inaugurated as President. I’m now happy to announce upcoming screenings of the feature-length Led Zeppelin Played Here, which will hopefully set the record straight.
Featuring interviews with rock journalists, archivists and historians, as well as collectors, promoters, DJs, musicians and fans who claim they were there witnessing history that night. Plus rare archival footage and photos, and some surprise guests.
Thursday, August 22 7pm
$12 general admission / $7 members
Creative Alliance at The Patterson
Friday, August 30 9:15pm
AFI Silver Theater, Silver Spring, MD
Future screenings planned include Queen City Film Festival in Cumberland, MD September 26-29, Utopia Film Festival in Greenbelt, MD October 18-20 and DC Music Salon December 11.
Zeppelin-in-Wheaton is Washington’s own rock-and-roll Loch Ness Monster. Could it possibly be real? Yes. No way. Depends whom you ask.
David Montgomery, Washington Post
Robert Plant Presents Sensational Space Shifters Bristol TBL Pre Gig Meet:
For those attending the Robert Plant show at Bristols Colston Hall the location for the TBL pre gig meet will be The Hatchet pub
This is situated very near the venue at
27 Frogmore St Bristol, Avon BS1 5NA
We look forward to seeing all that can make it along.
Above pic by Suzanne McElyea
The TBL T-shirt -the Badge of Honour…
Don’t forget….the new TBL T shirt is the perfect badge of honour to wear with pride at the forthcoming UK Robert Plant Sensational Space Shifters gigs…don’t miss out – order now for fast turnaround to ensure you receive it in time for the gigs!
Order at this link:
DL Diary Update:
The good lady Janet and I managed to get away for three days this week to a very sunny Brighton by the sea – a splendid time we had too – great hotel, lovely weather and food , a trip over to the Marina and a bit of shopping in the Laines where of course vinyl was purchased and a few Zep items spotted –visited the always excellent Wax Factor collectors store. They have multiple copies of a fair few artists all racked up- ie Beatles, Stones, Floyd etc and plenty of multiple copies of Zep albums as can be seen… it was also good to see the HMV store in Brighton giving good profile to the very fine Led Zeppelin Concert File book…lots of TBL over Brighton pics can be seen on the TBL facebook page.
Above -outside Wax Factor in Brighton
Above – Led Zep 2 collection at Wax Factor
Tomorrow I am looking forward to hooking up with the TBL crew of Tom, Phil, Michaela, Dan, Charlie, Mark H, Cliff the ticket man Hilliard, Tracey, Linda etc for the Hats Off To Led Zeppelin gig at the excellent Stables venue in Milton Keynes – beforehand we are meeting at Cliff’s in the afternoon and I’ll be keen to see what the ticket man has added to his awesome Zep ticket collection…….
After the little break in Brighton, it’s back to a full on workload – I am right back on with the Knebworth book , the McCartney feature is a way to go yet and TBL 26 is ahead. Next Thursday all roads (and trains!) lead to Bristol for the Robert Plant SSS gig. Soaking up all the Robert top ten listings has got me right in the mood for this long awaited Plant on stage sighting. It’s been too long….
More of Your Robert Plant Top Tens:
Here is a further selection of your Robert Plant All Time Top Ten favourite vocal performances as compiled to celebrate Robert Plant’s 65th birthday -I” round up a further batch in the next TBL posting…
It’s almost impossible to narrow the list down to 10, but I’ve tried to rise to the challenge by doing an even split of Zep and solo tunes.
You Shook Me
Since I’ve Been Loving You
I’m Gonna Crawl
Sixes and Sevens
Come Into My Life
Great Spirit (acoustic version, though the original vocal is phenomenal, too)
If I Ever Get Lucky (Live in Timbuktu)
Polly Come Home
Kashmir (live at the 02)
Debby Thurman Becnel
Tuff choices for sure and I really had to think on this… my number one fav is Stairway to Heaven from the Led Zep concerts I went to in the 70′s in Houston Texas
2) Dazed and Confused from Celebration Days movie…Robert’s vocals are rich and explosive…. STILL.
3) Communication Breakdown because we had that in the 70′s with “The Older” generation.
4) KashMIR Celebration Days movie cuz …. well Robert, Jimmy, John and Jason ROCKED the song and Robert’s voice just blew me away.
5) TrampLED Under Foot from the 70′s … I would my eyes closed and let the song inside my head.
6) Whole Lotta Love from Dallas Texas 2013 which was Robert’s 1st stop for his USA Tour….sylified he could STILL KICK ASS near the end of this concert. Age DID NOT and HAS NOT slowN him down!
7) The Lemon Song….A woman’s fantasy. SIGH!!!
8) Angel Dance with Band of Joy….Saw Robert in 2010 in Dallas with this band. Dave I have scfome great shots on my fb page from that show. 5th row. Feel free to check them out. Song has a retro hippie beat from my generation in the 70′s and I could see MANY of us from that generation dancing in a field “with flowers in our hair”.
9) Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down with Band of Joy plus The Sensational Space Shifters in Dallas 2013. Just like the song.
10) Stairway to Heaven from Celebration Day Movie …. I cried when I “Heard and Saw” LED ZEPPELIN perform this song again…because I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE LED ZEPPELIN LIVE AGAIN!!
Here’s my top ten. I’m submitting this very late (hope not too late) because I would include Robert Plant’s entire catalog amongst my favorite vocal performances so it was very difficult to make only 10 choices. At least for me, it was the chemistry with various band mates that transformed his already great vocals into something magical which I hope is reflected in this list. Not to mention the great concert with the Sensational Space Shifters which I saw on 7/24/13 at the Mohegan Sun Arena! The list is in no particular order because the songs are so diverse:
1. The Ocean (NY Live 1973).
2. Stairway to Heaven (Earls Court 1975).
3. Black Dog (BBC Sessions).
4. Over the Hills and Far Away (How the West Was Won).
5. Wonderful One (Page/Plant No Quarter).
6. Wearing and Tearing (Knebworth 1990).
7. Royal Orleans (Presence).
8. Kashmir (O2 Arena).
9. Dazed and Confused (Royal Albert Hall 1970).
10. The Truth Explodes (Page/Plant No Quarter).
Great Spirit. Acoustic
Sea of Love
Going to California
In the Mood. Live
Little by Little
Song to the Siren
Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down
Babe I’m gonna Leave You
It is so hard to stop. It doesn’t feel just to all the other great performances.
Tough question. In no particular order.
The Rain Song
Achilles Last Stand
The Greatest Gift
Ship of Fools
Like I’ve Never Been Gone
All My Love
That’s The Way
Four Sticks, Baby Come Home, Slow Dance, Achilles Last Stand, SIBLY Japan 72 and New Hampshire 73, In My Time of Dying, Ten Years Gone, different Kashmirs from 77 (hard to pick one), Hey Hey What Can I Do, Dancing Days, I dont know… so many moments in songs to ignore but for me at this moment.
1. Hats off to Harper, 2.since I been lovin you, 3. Dazed and Confused live in Paris 1969, 4. Four Sticks, 5. Hurtin Kind, 6.the lemon song, 7.communication breakdown, 8. Whole lotta
Love, 9. Dancing Days, 10. The Song remains the same.
All songs noted are the album cuts unless noted otherwise
1. Going to California – Led Zeppelin IV, 2. That’s the Way – Led Zeppelin III, 3. Boogie with Stu – Physical Graffiti – (Disc 2 of 2), 4. Fool In the Rain – In Through the Out Door, 5. South Bound Saurez – In Through the Out Door, 6. Rockin’ At Midnight – The Honeydrippers Vol. 1, 7. The Way I Feel – Now and Zen, 8. Hurting Kind (I’ve Got My Eyes On You) – Manic Nirvana, 9. Come Into My Life – Fate of Nations, 10. Red Dress – Dreamland
In no particular order: 1. Great Spirit; 2. Four Sticks; 3. Going to California ’77 LA Forum Badgeholders;4. Kashmir O2;5. Over the Hills and Far Away; 6.Sea of Love;7. Nothin;8. Little by Little;9.Horizontal Departure; 10. Rock and Roll
Going to california- Hey Joe (studio 67) – crazy little thing called love (mercury tribute live) – big log – little by little – come into my life – satan your kingdom have must gone – darkness darkness – kashmir O2 2007 – the enchenter
My selection is :
Going to california
In my time of dying – o2
What is & what should never be
Since I.ve been loving you – Page/Plant
Whole lotta love acoustic (29 palms sessions)
Somebody knocking – gloucester 12
my favorite Robert Plant vocal performances:
Stairway to Heaven
That’s the Way
Song to the Sirens
In the Evening (Live 1995 with Page Plant)
What is and what should never be
Ship of Fools
Satan your Kingdom must come down
In the Light
Melissa Amber Layton
1. Going to California (Led Zeppelin IV), 2. That’s the Way (Led Zeppelin III), 3. Boogie with Stu (Physical Graffiti), 4. South Bound Saurez (In Through the Out Door), 5. Fool In the Rain (In Through the Out Door), 6. Darlene (Coda), 7. Rockin’ at Midnight (The Honeydrippers Vol. 1), 8. Come Into My Life (Fate of Nations), 9. Red Dress (Dreamland), 10. Let the Boogie Woogie Roll (Sixty Six to Timbuktu)
This is tough…..10-Memory Song (Fate Of Nations) 9-Fool In The Rain (ITTOD) 8-Young Boy Blues (Honeydrippers) 7-Kashmir (PG) 6-Hey Hey What Can I DO 5-Whole Lotta Love (II) 4-I Cant Quit You Baby (Albert Hall 1/9/70) 3-Song To The Siren (Dreamland) 2-Ten Years Gone (PG) 1-Rain Song (TSRTS)
Great piece. But agree with others ’65 at 65′ would be much more fair!.
1) Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You
2) Since I’ve Been Loving You
3) Ship of Fools
4) In My Time of Dying (Earls Court)
5) All My Love
6) Win My Train Fare Home
7) Nobody’s Fault But Mine (Knebworth)
8) Battle of Evermore (on Raising Sand Tour w/Alison Krauss)
9) I’m Gonna Crawl
10) Twelve Gates to the City/Bid You Goodnight
(Band of Joy w/London Oriana Choir Nov, 2010)
Not in specific order (It’s already too hard to chose only 10 songs so it’s impossible to classify them……). Here it is in chronological order: As long as I have you (Live Fillmore West 27/04/69) – Immigrant song (LZ III) – That’s the way (LZ III) – The Rover (P.G.) – Black Country Woman (P.G.) – Like I’ve never been gone (Pictures at 11) – Morning Dew (Dreamland) – Please read the letter (Raising Sand) – For your life (live O2) – Kashmir (Live O2)
Power Metal-Mark M
Hear Is My List Robert Plant Pictures At Eleven #1 “Slow Dancer #2 Band Of Joy Angel Dance. #3 Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions You Shook Me #4 Page & Plant Most High #5 No Quarter: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant Unledded “Kashmir & #6 Led Zeppelin From Celebration Day Ramble On #7 Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions Travelling Riverside Blues #8 Robert Plant From Shaken ‘n’ Stirred Little By Little #9 Led Zeppelin IV The Battle Of Evermore #10 Led Zeppelin No Quarter From The Song Remains The Same – That Was Real Tough To Just Pick Only 10 Songs.
Dave I know you only wanted a Top 10 List, but what the hell…there’s no way I could possibly whittle Plant’s top vocals down to only ten songs. And besides, he only turns 65 once in a lifetime, right? So here’s my carefully-considered list of Robert’s 65 top vocal performances, IMHO.
These are not in any particular order other than chronological.
1) Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
2) Communication Breakdown
3) Dazed and Confused
4) How Many More Times
5) Whole Lotta Love
6) The Lemon Song
9) Bring It On Home
10) Immigrant Song
12) Since I’ve Been Loving You
13) Gallows Pole
14) That’s the Way
15) Hats Off to Roy Harper
16) Black Dog
17) Rock and Roll
18) The Battle of Evermore
19) Stairway to Heaven
20) Four Sticks
21) Going to California
22) The Rain Song
23) Over the Hills and Far Away
24) The Ocean
25) In My Time of Dying
26) Houses of the Holy
28) In The Light
29) Ten Years Gone
30) Night Flight
31) Achilles Last Stand
32) For Your Life
33) Nobody’s Fault But Mine
34) South Bound Suarez
35) Fool in the Rain
36) I’m Gonna Crawl
37) We’re Gonna Groove
38) Wearing and Tearing
39) In the Mood
40) Big Log
41) I Get a Thrill (The Honeydrippers)
42) Ship of Fools
44) Hurting Kind
47) Your Ma Said You Cried in Your Sleep Last Night
49) Liar’s Dance
50) Watching You
51) Calling to You
52) I Believe
53) If I Were A Carpenter
54) The Greatest Gift
56) Wonderful One (Page/Plant)
57) Blue Train (Page/Plant)
58) Most High (Page/Plant)
59) When I Was A Child (Page/Plant)
60) Morning Dew
61) Skip’s Song
62) Shine it All Around (the Mighty Remix version)
63) Gone Gone Gone (Plant/Allison Krauss)
64) Please Read the Letter (Plant/Allison Krauss)
65) Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down (Band of Joy)
More of your top tens to follow…
Until next time…Keep listening, keep reading…
Have a great weekend…
Dave Lewis/Gary Foy – August 23rd , 2013.
if you are reading this and have yet to link with the Tight But Loose Facebook page be sure to request/add us.
The TBL Facebook is another key part of the TBL set up with updated stories/additional pics etc to keep you on top of the world of TBL.
To view additional photos and TBL info be sure to hook up with the Tight But Loose Facebook page (add us as a friend)
Also follow Dave Lewis/TBL on Twitter – LedzeppelinTBL