FEATHER IN THE WIND – LED ZEPPELIN OVER EUROPE 1980 – BOOK LATEST UPDATE AND CALL OUT
Progress on the book I have been compiling titled Feather In The Wind- Led Zeppelin Over Europe 1980 is ongoing and we are now commencing the design stage with a view to publication in late May/June.
Here’s what the book is all about:
In the summer of 1980, Led Zeppelin undertook what would be their final tour –a low key 14 date trek across Germany, Belgium, Holland, Austria and Switzerland.
With a radically streamlined stage presentation and set list, the aim was to get back to being a working band after all the lay offs and grand scale of their 1979 Knebworth appearances.
This air of rejuvenation would inspire plans for a full scale tour of America in the autumn that would be sadly cancelled with the untimely death of John Bonham.
Vastly under reported at the time, the Led Zeppelin Over Europe ’80 tour has taken on something of mythical status over the years. It found the band anxious to stamp their authority on a changing musical landscape as their reputation tethered like a feather in the wind.
In this forthcoming book, Dave Lewis brings a first hand view in chronicling this final era setting the scene with the build up to the tour, on the spot reports of the gigs from the time and retrospective views from those that were there. The book also includes an in depth gig by gig analysis, full bootleg appendix and is illustrated throughout with many rarely seen photos.
It all adds up to an illuminating volume that pours fresh light on the final days of Led Zeppelin as they attempted to rejuvenate their career by doing what they did best – performing live on stage.
This is the Led Zeppelin tour that time nearly forgot…remembered and re-assessed in greater detail than ever before.
.. .. .. ..
Here’s some additional Info:
* I have spent the past 18 months amassing the info and writing, editing and compiling the text and source material. During that process I would like to acknowledge the vital input of Gary Foy, Mike Tremaglio, Larry M. Bergmann Jr, Graeme Hutchinson, Howard Mylett, Steve Jones, Michael Kirschner, Nick Anderson, Gerard Sparaco, Sam Rapallo and Argenteum Astrum.
* The book is the follow up to the much acclaimed Then As it Was -Led Zeppelin At Knebworth.
* It’s the same size as the Knebworth book and in hardback format and it will sit proudly on the bookshelf next to it. If you enjoyed the Knebworth book – you will find Feather In The Wind offers the same ‘I was there’ on the spot retrospective feel.
* Whilst similar in size and style, Feather In the Wind is a major step forward with a full colour design throughout by TBL designer Mick Lowe. It and features an abundance of rarely seen live on stage images from the Over Europe 1980 tour expertly presented to offer maximum visual impact.
* The centerpiece is a lengthy copiously illustrated gig by gig analysis of the 14 shows with venue and set list details, commentary info and complete on stage spoken transcribes.
* The series of I Was There recollections in the book includes contributions from renowned fans Howard Mylett, Steve Jones and Mark Harrison.
* There are also a series of backstage viewpoints drawn from various touring personnel – from the loyal roadies and tour managers to the record company representatives and sound technicians. These backstage recollections throw fresh light on the latter days of the group.
* Similar to the Knebworth book, long term TBL contributor Larry M. Bergmann Jr contributes a chapter reflecting his personal views on the Over Europe 1980 tour as seen from across the water.
* My own memories from the time are chronicled in a 10,000 word diary of my adventures up close and personal with Led Zeppelin in the summer of 1980 – as written at the time for the long out of print TBL 5.
* The book also includes a series of extensive appendix sections – including a fully illustrated Over Europe 1980 bootleg discography, a guide to Over Europe 1980 memorabilia items, on tour statistics, Coda discography and more.
It all adds up to the most intensive study of a single Led Zeppelin tour ever produced – made all the more compelling by the fact it focuses on the latter Zeppelin era when so many questions were being asked of the band – not least did they still have a future and where did they sit within the changing musical trends of the 1980s?
This book attempts to discover the answers to such questions and in doing so takes every reader on journey on tour with Led Zeppelin in the summer of 1980…
If you weren’t there then -you can be now…
Feather in the Wind – Led Zeppelin Over Europe 1980 is the book that can transport you back in time to the last days of the legend.…
…And it’s coming soon….
Over Europe book work in progress – DL and designer Mick Lowe -Studio Mix Bedford, March 7th 2011
All those who have paid a £10 deposit for the book via the TBL fill in flyer will be notified prior to the publication of the balance to pay.
I will be confirming the price with postage costs shortly and will activate a pay pal ordering link where pre ordered copies can be ordered and paid for in full via the TBL site.
The initial run is a hardback limited edition – all books purchased will be personally signed by the author.
Finally – A Call Out:
I am keen to make contact with the following fans who were at some of the Over Europe 1980 shows.
If you are one of the listed names below or if anyone knows the email address or contact details of the following I’d be most grateful if they could get in touch via my email email@example.com
Hans P Kirsch
More news on all of this soon – meanwhile it’s back to the text, lay out and design…
Dave Lewis – March 11th, 2011